UA-46001547-1

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

LARAbar Copycat

cashew cookie larabar

I love lara bars. They are of the energy bar/ candy bar as food/ meal replacement category. However, unlike many of these items, they are made of simple, whole food ingredients with no added protein or vitamins. They are kind of similiar to an ayurvedic snack I used to make called date balls. Most flavors consist of dates, nuts, sometimes other fruit, and sometimes spices or chocolate.

My favorite is the Cherry Pie and the Cashew Cookie. This is my copycat recipe of the cashew jawn. I used fresh refrigerated medjool that still had the pits in them. This involved more work and more expensive ingredients than using dry, pitted dates. I think it would work fine with dry dates but having less moisture, you might want to reduce the amount of nuts or add a tiny bit of water while blending. I add salt and vanilla which I think makes these better than the original.

Cashew Cookie LARA Bar Copycat


120g cashews
320g dates
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp vanilla 
cashew meal, if you can find it

Blend first 4 ingredients in the food processor until a fairly smooth mass is created. Roll out on cashew meal or ground cashews or other slivered nuts or coconut. This makes them less sticky to the touch but is not essential. Freeze for an hour or refrigerate for several, then cut into portion sizes. They are dense, rich and sweet so you can make them small. I think I made about 16 squares from this batch.





No comments:

Post a Comment