UA-46001547-1

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Smashed Zucchini


  This sort of recipe is sort of from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, which rules. The entire huge book is filled with recipes that grandmas all over the world have been making forever. Anyways I cannot remember who I lent it out to so I just made this from memory. I believe the recipe was from Syria or Palestine. Here's what I did.



Smashed Zucchini

3 reasonable sized zucchini, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
lots of good olive oil
chili vinegar
fresh basil, chiffonade
salt
pepper

Heat oil in large pan. Add garlic and stir to flavor oil. Add zucchini quickly or the garlic will burn. Saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally until zucchini starts to stick and brown up just a little bit. Deglaze the pan with something acidic. You can use lemon juice or any vinegar. I used a white vinegar that I infused with chilis in the fall. Turn off heat. Smash with a potato masher for best results or the back of a wooden spoon if thats all you've got. Stir in fresh basil. Parsley or cilantro or chives would work well also. Eat with crusty bread or pita or chips or make into a bruschetta. I sliced fresh mozzerella onto some bread, piled smashed zucchini on top toasted it and sprinkled it with paprika salt. I question the healthfulness of squash once it has been cooked down this much but it is really delicious. Its a great way to use up lots of summer squash.



No comments:

Post a Comment