UA-46001547-1

Monday, July 22, 2013

La Paloma

I've been getting more into tequila in the warmer months and many fun new cocktails have been brought to my attention now. (I've also been so hot that I'm too lazy to make cocktails and drink lager tallboys like its going out of style.) There's always margaritas, so sour and refreshing, but sometimes, especially in the heat, you want a bigger drink that lets you drink more without having to drink a pint of margarita. Enter La Paloma. It is basically grapefruit soda and tequila. Maybe with lime and salt, as most Mexican things like to be garnished. The sum is greater than the parts here folks. Somehow, this transforms into a magically delicious, how did they think of that?, profoundly enjoyable experience.

With such a simple recipe, the door is open to infinite variation and experimentation. I bought some Italian grapefruit soda at Trader Joes, specifically to make La Paloma. It is cane sugar sweetened, which i like. I also bought the same packaged blood orange soda. Luckily for me, the internet already decided that La Paloma also works with blood orange soda. Really well, in fact. I got this idea from Aida Mollenkamp. I am really bad at rimming glasses with salt, or anything really. I dont like salt rimmed margaritas and have not practiced much because of it. This drink made me want to perfect thyme salt rims. (I have not yet though.)

La Paloma

2 oz tequila
1/2 lime, squeezed and thrown in
pinch salt
grapefruit soda to taste

Build in a highball filled with ice. I've made with Reposado and Blanco tequila with great results. I've only tried with Tjs soda, but Pellegrino and Jarritos both make grapefruit soda too.

Blood Orange and Thyme Paloma 
from Aida



12 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt such as Maldon
Ice
2 ounces 100% agave silver tequila
1/2 ounces freshly-squeezed lime juice
6 ounces Blood Orange Soda such as San Pellegrino

Chop thyme and mix with salt. Put on a small plate, rub the glass with a lime wedge and roll it in thymey salt. I used lemon thyme because i am growing it and it is the most delicious thyme one could eat. I used Tjs blood orange soda. It was so good that I made 2 in a row. I am very bad at rimming a glass though...

No comments:

Post a Comment